Monday, July 31, 2006

Comic-Con International 2006: Part the second

JULY 20

The highlight of Thursday for myself was the formal presentation by the U.S. Postal Service of a new set of stamps that feature superhero characters from DC Comics. I am NOT a stamp collector, but I have become a fan of DC Comics, so that made me curious to see the presentation.

When I entered the meeting room this happened in, I was pleased to find each person was getting a free first day of issue cover that had one of the stamps on it, along with the unique cancellation mark that was only available July 20 in San Diego post offices and at the Con.
For each of the selected superheroes, there are two stamps:
  1. A reproduction of a comic book cover that featured that superhero.
  2. A portrait of the superhero.
The stamp on the cover I was given was the reproduction of a comic book cover for the superhero Green Lantern. Here is a photo I took of it.

The presentation included remarks by a couple USPS officials from Washington, D.C., concerning the general process of selecting what images will go on commemorative stamps, and specifically about working with DC Comics on preparing this set. There were also remarks from the president/publisher of DC Comics.

A very nice touch was that the artist who had created each image was there, or in those cases where the artist could not be there, a member of their family was present, and each of them was asked to stand to be recognized by the audience.

(Part the fourth)
(Part the third)
(Part the first)

(My photos of the Con are available here.)

No comments: